Home  /  Private Hire Licence Test - Trinity ISE TfL - English College London
Private Hire Licence Test - Trinity ISE TfL
50% Off! Now just £95! (Was £190) * Offer ends 25/09/2018

All Private Hire Drivers in London now need to prove to TfL that they have a good level of English. Proof of English level must be shown to TfL before a licence or renewal of licence will be issued. English College London run courses for Private Hire drivers to help them succeed in passing the SELT ISE B1 exam, now needed if you wish to work as a private hire driver, mini cab driver or taxi driver in London. 

We offer one-day intensive courses every Wednesday, Thursday and Friday (10am-5pm) in central London. Our experienced tutors will train you in exam techniques and work on the specific structures needed to pass the exam. Our preparation includes mock tests and individual speaking and listening practice to build your level and confidence, so on the test day you will be fully prepared and knowledgeable about the exam process and how to pass. You will get help preparing and practicing the topic part of the exam and preparation before the test day.  Even if you think your level of English is good enough to take the test without any training, knowing what to expect in the exam will provide a better result and a pass first time. 

As a SELT course provider our preparation courses cover all the training you need to help you confidently sit and pass the exam. 

Results from attending one of our Trinity ISE B1 Test Preperation Courses in London
  • Increase your English proficiency
  • Be fully prepared for the Trinity SELT ISE exam format 
  • Get exam practice
  • Learn about the exam and what to expect
  • Get information and advice from an experienced Trinity trainer
  • Learn techniques and tips to pass successfully
  • Small classes with quality trainers
  • Increase your chances of passing first time

Which test do I have to take for my private hire driver licence application?
The recognised exam for a Private Hire Drivers Licence is the Trinity ISE 1 SELT certificate at B1 or higher, issued by Trinity College London or IELTS showing proficiency in reading, writing, speaking and listening. 

Is this the same qualification needed for my visa application through UKVI?
Trinity College London SELT qualifications are approved by UKVI for British Citizenship, Settlement and Visa applications. This means ISE 1 (B1) SELT can also be used for applications for:

Further leave to remain.
Indefinite leave to remain.
British Citizenship (Naturalisation).
Tier 1, 2 and 4 visas. 

What English test do I need to pass to renew my TFL Private Hire Licence?
You must pass the Trinity College London B1 SELT-ISE test to renew your licence.

How much is the SELT test for a Tfl Private Hire Driver Licence?
The cost of the test is £180.00.

I can speak English, do I still need to take the test?
Yes, unless you have one of the qualifications listed in-I have a qualification in English.

What is the difference between SELT and ISE tests?
SELT is the type of exam and ISE describes what you need to do to pass in the test. They are not different tests.

What does SELT mean?
SELT means Secure English Language Test. This means the test is accepted by the UK Government because the testing body (Trinity) is approved by the Government. The test will be exactly the same in all testing centres.

What does ISE mean?
ISE stands for Integrated Skills in English. This means that the test will cover all parts of the English language-reading, writing, speaking and listening. The test is not just speaking and listening. You must pass all parts.

How long is the ISE test for Private Hire Drivers?
There are two parts of the test which will take 2.5 hours in total. Part one-reading and writing-2 hour exam with 4 separate tasks. Part two-speaking and listening-18 minute exam with 4 separate tasks.

How can I improve my English level to take this test and pass?
English College London offer English courses to help you pass the test. We will train you in all four skills reading, writing, speaking and listening. You will receive individual practice in your speaking and listening and practice exam techniques with a tutor. We will build your confidence as well as your level. We have weekday, evening and weekend courses for you to fit around your life and work. 

Who needs to take the test?
All applicants for private hire driver licences received by Tfl (Transport for London). This includes applications for both renewal and new licences.

What does the test consist of?
You will be tested on all 4 skills reading, writing, speaking and listening over 2.5 hours all on the same day.

What level is the ISE 1?
ISE 1 = B1 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages and is the equivalent of pre-intermediate.

How do I book my test?
Only tests taken at a SELT centre are approved by TFL for private hire driver licence applications. We will book your test if you take one of our training courses or you can book your test yourself.

Where do I book my test?
Only tests taken at a SELT centre are approved by Tfl for private hire driver licence applications. There is a SELT centre close to English College London in Holburn.

What do I need to take with me on my test day?
You must take proof of identity (ID) to the SELT test centre on the day. You must also take your topic form to take to the test for discussion with the examiner.

What forms of ID are acceptable?
Candidates must take one form of ID. The same form of ID must be presented for all parts of the exam. The ID presented on the day of the exam must be the same ID as is used for the candidate’s online booking entry. Original forms of ID must be provided. Copies will NOT be accepted. Letters confirming proof of ID (including from Government officials, police or lawyers) will also NOT be accepted. Candidates must be clearly identifiable from their ID. The exam board Trinity will reject ay ID presented to it by a candidate where the photo does not resemble the candidate or where Trinity have doubts about the validity of the documentation.

Is there a list of valid ID documents which will be accepted for identity?
The following ID will be accepted for taking a SELT. Valid passport, EEA/EU or Swiss National ID cards. Valid biometric Residence Permit (these will only be accepted for tests taken by candidates who do not have a valid passport). Travel Document issued by the United Nations or the Red Cross Valid Vignette attached to an immigration Status Document or a GV3 Document. European Union ID cards will be accepted for candidates from the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cypress, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden. The EEA includes the EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. Switzerland nationals have the same rights to live and work in the UK as other EEA nationals.

Can I take a letter from my lawyer, police station or Government official as my proof of identity?
NO! Only the above forms of identity proof will be accepted. 

What do I do if I do not have one of the approved forms of ID?
You should contact The UK Visas & Immigration Secure English Language team for advice on www.gov.uk/visas-immigration

How long does the test take?
All four parts of the test are taken on the same day. This takes about 2,5 hours.

Can I have my certificate delivered quicker?
Yes, there is a premium delivery service, but there is a fee.

How long will it take to get my certificate?
Your certificate will be sent within 21 days.

What does the certificate show?
When you get your results for ISE, you receive:
A certificate if you passed both parts of the test showing Pass, Merit or Distinction for each skill: reading, writing, speaking and listening.
A diagnostic report for each skill showing how you performed in the test-this shows you where to develop your skills in the future.

What happens if I fail?
If you fail either or both parts of the exam, you receive:
A letter confirming that you did not achieve a pass grade in all 4 parts of the exam and therefore do not receive a certificate.
A diagnostic profile report for each skill showing how yu performed which identifies areas for improvement.
You can rebook your test when you feel ready to pass.

How long is the certificate valid for?
All Trinity certificates are valid for life and are evidence of the candidate’s achievement and performance in a Trinity exam.

Can I use my certificate for UK visa or immigration purposes as well?
Trinity has recommended to the UK Home Office that, for security reasons, only certificates less than two years old should be accepted.


Connect with us

Find out about ECL

Situated in London’s oldest square and positioned in one of the classic, historical Georgian terraces, the English College of London invites students from around the world to study in the intellectual and literary capital of London.

Find out More

What our students say

Our students love studying at ECL. Find out what some of our students have to say about us.

The wait is over. Enrol today to get started.